Sunday, February 20, 2011

the most amazing cake you will eat this year. NO JOKE.

The Market in the winter
i'll admit it's an interesting combination.

white zucchini cake, cream cheese frosting, and fruit. but not just any fruit- mandarin oranges, kiwi's, grapes, mango, and strawberry. (just think about that one for a little bit).

I know it seems crazy, but it works. it works really really well. This cake is called the "Spring Fling" cake and it originates from the wonderful Denver Colorado (my home) from a very well known cafe downtown called The Market. I have frequented the market many times before in my life and have to say I thoroughly enjoy it. However, I normally just stop by to get coffee. On a particular day this past December, however, I happened to decide to splurge on a piece of cake, and the attendant recommended the Spring Fling.

After the first bite I immediately knew I had to try to re-create it. But for what? My friend Sarah offered for me to make it for her birthday. I gladly accepted.

strawberry, strawberry, strawwberryy
The cake itself is not hard to make at all. The most time consuming part was grating the zucchini. The assembly of the cake though, is where the time commitment comes in. You need to slice the cake into three layers, then frost and put the layers of fruit on each later. The end result was so worth it though, the cake was beautiful, and well received. Sure, I did take it to a 21st birthday party, and sure that probably means that the compliments were exaggerated a little, but the adoration from the fans of this cake was enough to boost my baking ego into one of those string theory parallel universes. Probably one full of cake.
I just love the texture of the frosting!


Here is the recipe, courtesy of Malisa's Food Blog


The whole thing - finally assembled!
Spring Fling Cake

Serves 12 to 14

2 ½ cups shredded zucchini
5 eggs
1 ¼ cups sugar
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 cup sour cream
½ tablespoon plus ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (for frosting)
3 ½ cups all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
For frosting:
¾ cup cream cheese
¼ cup butter
2 cups powdered sugar
½ cup heavy cream

Fruit for cake:
1 pint strawberries, cleaned, stemmed and sliced
4 kiwi fruit , peeled and sliced
2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
1 pint blackberries or black grapes
1 can mandarin oranges, drained (optional)
Apricot glaze, or apricot jelly thinned out with a bit of warm water (optional)

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a round 10-inch cake pan.

• To prepare the cake: Shred the zucchini in a food processor. In a large mixing bowl combine shredded zucchini, eggs, sugar, oil, sour cream and ½ tablespoon vanilla.

• When thoroughly mixed, combine all dry ingredients and add to bowl; mix well. Batter should be fairly wet and easy to pour.

• Pour in the batter and bake for 50 to 70 minutes, testing with a toothpick in center.

• Cool finished cake on a rack for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and allow it to cool completely. (You can make the cake a day ahead and refrigerate.)

• To prepare frosting, whip room temperature cream cheese and butter until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar, mixing until well combined.

• In a separate bowl, whip the cream until stiff, and then fold it and the ½ teaspoon vanilla into the frosting. Do not overmix.  (I think the frosting resembles sweetened condensed milk.)

• To assemble cake: Cut the cooled cake in half lengthwise, making two layers. (The Market cuts the cake into three layers, which you may do if desired.)

• Spread an even layer of frosting over the first layer, and then add a layer of the various fruit pieces (repeat if three layers).

• Put on the top layer of cake and evenly frost. The sides of the cake are not frosted; use extra to fill in, as needed. ( I frosted the sides - I like more frosting in more paces!)

• Arrange the fruit in circles all over the top of cake, slightly overlapping fruit pieces.

• To finish: Spread the apricot glaze over fruit on top of the cake with a pastry brush. (I didn't do this but it still turned out fine)

4 comments:

  1. OK so I am really impressed with your blog and pictures and stories! Love your replication of Spring Fling. You should facebook the Market and let them know of your adventure. What is next? You should give us a bit of advance temptation prior to showing us the final product! Great job- can't wait to taste your next creation (meaning, I will have to be in the same city as you- LOL) Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks soooo good. It's torturous because I can't get anything like these here, but I can't stop looking. Can you make all of these for me when I get back? (Please don't actually, I'd feel bad [until I started eating, and then I'd feel really good (then probably feel bad for another reason [having eaten 5 months worth of sweets in 15 minutes])]). Keep it up! Are you still trying to figure out the perfect cappy recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  3. CAPPYS! oh my I completely forgot those existed. I think I was scarred by our last experience making them. I should really try again though....hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenni, your blog makes me so hungry. I KNEW it had to be you, because who else would have an adorably scientific baking blog? But I had to double check with Spencer. Who apparently uses way too many parentheses in his comments. These fruit things are my favorite kind of cake! I'm looking forward to reading this this semester :)

    ReplyDelete