Thursday, February 3, 2011

Let the Cupcakes Begin....


So really, I'm obsessed.

I should be doing physics homework. My lab. My mol. gen outline. Dreaming about medical school. What is in my head AGAIN? Sweets. Beautiful, glorious, AMAZING sweets! cupcakes, cinnamon rolls, muffins, banana bread, yum, Yum, YUM!

So in order to get this obsession out so I can get on with the splendid homework due tomorrow, I thought I should blog. You know, update on the world about the happenings in my own kitchen. Specifically, only one happening, but hey, its better than none.

About two weeks ago I had a crazy idea that formulated one night on duty. I was searching baking blogs (as normal) and found these amazing things called cheesecake pops (http://www.bakerella.com/cheesecake-pops/). They looked so delectable and delicious I just wanted to make them right then and there. However, I also stumbled upon the bake it in a cake website (http://bakeitinacake.com/ ) which is also incredibly amazing. Then this idea dawned on me, sort of like an epiphany - what if I baked the cheesecake pops inside a cupcake?!?! WHAT?! The idea was contagious. I began sorting through my martha stewart cupcake book finding an appropriate fit until I stopped on - viola! The marble cupcake. Simple, yet delicious.

The process, however, was not so simple. I ended up buying a cheesecake to speed up the process, as well as some meltable chocolate from shaws (not the nice ones from micheals). First, the cheesecake was extremely difficult to roll into balls. It kept melting onto my hands and not sticking to itself. I had to incorporate some of the crust in order for them to stay in a shperical shape. Second, when I dipped the cheesecake into the chocolate it also continued to melt and the balls had a difficult time being coated with chocolate. Third and lastly, after about 3 cheesecake balls, the chocolate cooled and separated, making dipping impossible. So much for chocolate covered cheesecake balls.

ARGH.

But no worries. I found that the dried up chocolate was still good to roll the cheesecake around in and it was still incorporated. I then made the cupcakes and the final product was beautiful and delicious. I did not frost them but rather just sprinkled powdered sugar on top! My advice - eat them while they are hot. If not, remember to REFRIGERATE them because the moisture of the cheesecake will spread throughout the cupcake making it soggy.

Below are some pictures for your enjoyment! I also couldn't help but take some of my friends eating them too. :)

The cupcake from the side



From the top













 The INside








All of this equals:



Intense, 


and Serious, 






Satisfaction. 












Recipe:

Makes 16

1 3/4 c. cake flour (I used all purpose and they came out fine)
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1/3 c. milk

1/2 c. (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temp
1 c. granulated sugar
3 large eggs, room temp
1 t. pure vanilla extract
1/3 c. unsweetened dutch-process cocoa powder
1/4 c. boiling water
confectioner's sugar for dusting

1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line standard muffin tins with paper liners. Sift together cake flour, baking powder, and salt. Combine milk and cream.

2. With an electric mixer on medium-high speed, cream butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until each is incorporated, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mixture in three batches, alternating with two additions of milk mixture, and beating until combined.

3. To make chocolate batter, measure out 1 cup batter, and transfer to another bowl. Combine cocoa and the boiling water in a bowl. Stir into reserved 1 cup batter.

4. Fill prepared cups with alternating spoonfuls of vanilla and chocolate batter, filling each three-quarters full. Run the tip of a paring knife or wooden skewer through batter in a figure-eight motion to make swirls. Bake, rotating tins halfway through, until tops are golden and a cake tester inserted in centers comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Transfer tin to wire racks to cool completely before removing cupcakes. Cupcakes can be stored overnight at room temperature, or frozen up to 2 months, in airtight containers.

5. To finish, dust with confectioner's sugar just before serving. 


No comments:

Post a Comment