Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Holy Moly thats a good Roly Poly!

Roly Poly's. I had never heard of them until one day when I was browsing my favorite baking blog, http://www.cakespy.com/. The cakespy is from Seattle, and I think with every post she tempts me to move there if only for their array of delectable bakeries. The following recipe is from one of those called the Macrina Bakery. The Roly Poly is basically a cinnamon roll on steroids. Not only is it made with crossoint dough, but the filling includes walnuts, raisins, AND coconut. Talk about a bite of heaven.

right after coming out of the oven
Now just to warn you - the recipe is not for the light of heart. It takes about a good full day of work to prepare these rolls and in no way is it easy. Me, being the smart biochemistry major I am, decided to start them on christmas eve so my family could eat them christmas morning. This resulted in me rolling out the dough at least 4 times at my grandma's during out annual christmas eve dinner. so PLEASE think it through before you start.

What makes these rolls so hard is that the dough is a crossoint dough. The dough is made without any butter in it and then rises for 12 hours in the fridge (bizzare...I know). Then you make a "butter block" which is also chilled and add the butter to the cold dough by rolling it it (yes, with a rolling pin). After rolling you then fold and chill the dough, and roll out again and repeat. After all of this you can finally make the rolls, only to allow them to rise again in the fridge for 12 hours. PHEW its a long process.
mmmmmmm...sooooo gooood

But totally worth it.

my friends and family who came over that day could not stop raving about how good they were. and really, they are delicious. I guess that is the product of a professional grade recipe (its from a bakery that actually sells these things) and about a day's worth of work. The picture in the link below shows them frosted, but I just left them plain and they were sweet enough.

Click here for the Recipe


No comments:

Post a Comment