Sunday, March 27, 2011

A Thank You

Almost a month ago I was preparing to take my dreaded EMT state exam. I took my EMT class a year ago and was finally getting around to be certified. Lets just say I forgot A LOT of stuff and needed some help. Enter Toby Maak- EMT extraordinaire. Really though, Toby is one of my friends from freshman year when we both decided to take accelerated introduction to chem. He has been an EMT now for three years at Clark and has helped many, many students pass their tests. Toby spent about 8 hours with me overall the week of helping me practice, and I couldn't thank him enough. 
Another thank you goes out to Alicia Winn, a wonderful girl in SASC with me. For the actual test (which was from 7-12 and an hour away AND on a Saturday) I desperately needed a patient. Alicia volunteered herself and I couldn't have been more grateful! She made the day go by quickly and calmed my nerves before every station.

 So I needed to say THANK YOU! to these wonderful people, and I knew exactly how I should do it. Baked goods. Everyone loves them and needs them. I wanted to bake something simple (it was midterms) but delicious, and easy to transport. That is when I decided to give cake balls a try. I know the name is weird and might make you giggle - but seriously - these are amazing. Make a box cake, let it cool, crumble it up, put frosting in it, shape it into balls, let those cool, and dip them in chocolate!!!!!! I made red velvet ones. An although I very much so dislike making boxed cakes, they turned out incredible. The hard chocolate contrasts textually with the gooey sweet cake in the middle making for a wonderful experience in you mouth. mmmmmmm. And guess what? they are really trendy right now too. You can even go buy one at starbucks. (but trust me, homemade is better).

I'm envisioning white chocolate funfetti ones in the future, but for now, check out this link to see a pretty picture  and the official recipe by Bakerella! http://www.bakerella.com/red-velvet-cake-balls/
Sorry I didn't take any pictures. my hands were too covered in chocolate. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment