Thursday, June 9, 2011

Clark U Bake Off

In March (I know, I know, I'm very behind on posting), one of the management classes at Clark put together a bake-off to raise money for the local organization called Abby's house, which is a shelter for battered women and children. For canned goods (or two dollars) Clark students could have all you could eat baked goods and then vote for best overall and most creative.

After Clark's 2009 cupcake competition (in which my key lime cupcake, a vanilla cupcake with key lime filling, meringue topping and a Graham cracker crust, COMPLETELY LOST) my pride was a little bruised and I was tentative about entering another competition. These feelings combined with the fact that I could not make the entire bake off because it conflicted with a concert the same night I was going to in Boston, I made the decision to under-achieve. Although I didn't go all out, I did take the opportunity to make a slightly complicated cupcake I had been dying to try. It was a chocolate peanut butter cupcake off of a cute blog called Made with Pink. This treat consists of a chocolate cupcake with a Reece's peanut butter cup at the bottom and peanut butter frosting. Click here for the recipe.

Now, of course, I did make some changes. Reece's peanut butter cups are very expensive to buy 30 of, especially on my college student budget. Thank goodness Easter was approaching, so I used Reece's peanut butter bunnies, which were on sale and added an interesting twist. Also, the original recipe calls for a peanut butter- butter cream frosting. Now, I know this is weird, but I don't really like butter cream frosting. Its too sweet and reminds me too much of the grocery store cake frosting - thick, hard to swallow and overly sweet. On top of this, I'm a sucker for cream cheese frosting. Its smooth, tangy but just sweet enough, and who doesn't love more dairy? Lucky for me, Martha Stewart has a recipe for peanut butter frosting with cream cheese! oh and heavy cream (just for kicks).

The cupcakes were interesting. The recipe calls for coffee. I only had instant, which was way to strong but overall the flavor wasn't too intense. The cupcakes had a unique texture; not dense and crumbly (how I like them), but more spongy and flaky. The frosting was sublime, however, and really pulled everything together. And the Reece's bunny? delicious. To try and add some creative flair for the bake off I melted some chocolate and drizzled it over the top, making them look quite pretty.

I didn't have my camera on me, so this shot is courtesy of Victoria Krinsky

I didn't end up winning anything from the bake off (which I suspected), but I also didn't try very hard. Overall it was a very fun experience and I'm glad I had a reason to try a new recipe. Oh and the reception of the leftover cupcakes (which I gave to the wonderful Heather Howe for her 21st birthday) were received especially well by friends and strangers alike. That made me feel better than winning a bake-off any day. :)


Me at the bake off with the final product! (photo by Victoria Krinsky)


3 comments:

  1. A great post and well written. I am sure the cupcakes were as well done as your erudition. I am curious though on the winner of the competition? Who is the baking geek who did try too hard perfecting their recipe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The overall winner was a wright hall resident Elliot with his friends Casey and Becca with a cinnamon roll recipe while the most creative was another wright hall resident named Jenny and her friends with martha stewart's marble cupcake decorated as penguins, sheep and pigs. They were both fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So nice to meet you, Jenni! Hope to see lots more recipes from you soon!!!
    mandi

    ReplyDelete